There was this fantastic looking manicure I came across – and it just so happened to include a tutorial. Well, I am always up for trying something new… and this looked easy enough. So, I present to you…
My Adventures With Nail Striping Tape! (and a bit of sponging gradient )
Sitting in my nail art drawer, has been 5 rolls of different colored nail striping tape – since this past summer. I take them out every so often, and try out some of these tricky designs ….just to get frustrated with the tape not going on evenly, or not sticking, or popping up after I finally get a design done.
When I saw this manicure idea, I was pretty excited to be able to finally get some use out of the tape – even if it wasn`t what the tape was originally intended for. Please be kind, it was my first attempt
1. Paint nails with dark color. (I did a black polish and silver holographic tip. I do not recommend anything but the one dark color – the silver tip did nothing for the final outcome)
2. Once polish is fully dry…..Cut small lengths of the striping tape and place on top half of nail (your preference of design).
3. On a plastic plate, or other non-porous surface, make a small puddle of the polish you will be using over the tape (metallic, shiny or sparkly seems to work best for contrast, if you used dark polish first)
4. Rip a small piece of makeup sponge, and dip into polish. Dab off excess polish so application is more delicate.
5. Sponge the polish onto the top half (approximately) of each nail. Do not worry about getting on your skin
6. Once this polish has dried, gently remove tape (I used tweezers for a better grip).
7. Clean up! If there is sticky residue, use rubbing alcohol to remove from nail. Use small paint brush dipped in nail polish remover to clean excess polish off skin and cuticles. Wash fingers and finger nails immediately to remove acetone. Moisturize!
8. Add topcoat. Tah Dah!!
Very simple, and if I had not tried to get fancy with two colors of polish as my base – I think my first try would have looked really nice
Here are a few other pics of this manicure, and I tried it again with just two different holographic colored polishes.
Hope you enjoyed my striping tape adventure Have a great day!!!